Student Visas & Visa Extensions

Student Visa Applications – Tier 4 Visa

A Student Visa, also known as a Tier 4 visa, provides the holder with the temporary right to live and study within the UK. This is measured on a points-based system and you are required to have 40 points on the PBS System (points-based system) to be eligible to apply for this category of visa:

You will have 30 points if you can show that your application is supported by a sponsor who is on the Tier 4 Register of Sponsors – click here to view the official list


In addition, 10 points will be awarded if you can demonstrate that you have sufficient finances to fund your course and to cover your living expenses for the duration of your time in the UK.

Types of Tier 4 Visa


At Whiterose Blackmans Solicitors, our expert immigration solicitors will advise you on which of the Tier 4 visas will be the most suitable for you or your dependents and the supporting documents you will need to provide in order to make the application. We have a wealth of experience in preparing and submitting applications for student visas and we can help make sure the start to your course is as smooth as possible.

If you are travelling to the UK & are aged sixteen or over and you intend to be in the UK for longer than 6 months, you will need to apply for a Student visa.


Dependents relating to a Visa Applications


If you are studying in the UK on a Tier 4 (Student) visa, you will be able to bring your dependents to live with you in the UK for the duration of your course. You will have to demonstrate that you can support them financially without relying on any state benefits. We are here to help and you can contact us for a free initial discussion and we will be able to give you a fixed cost quote.

Student Visas
Student visitor visas are intended for students who want to study for a short time in the UK as part of their higher education. It is designed to allow the temporary right to live and study in the UK. Applicants must show that they are:

- Aged 18 or over

- Coming to the UK for up to 6 months (if you are coming to study English as a foreign language your visa may be valid for up to 11 months)

- Not going to be employed while they are in the UK.

These requirements are in addition to the 40 point score needed to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

Immigration Fees – How Much Will It Cost?


For details of our fixed fees in respect of immigration matters, please click here.

Prospective Student Visa


If you need to come to the UK to prepare or complete the application process for your course (for example, coming to be interviewed) then you can apply for a Prospective Student visa. Afterwards, you can switch this to either a Tier 4 (General) or Tier 4 (Child) visa once you have secured your course and your sponsor.

Extending a Student Visa


You may be able to stay longer to continue your course or study a new one. If you wish to do so, you must meet the eligibility requirements of this visa and be in the UK.

You need to include your dependents in your application if they’re on your current visa (includes children who have turned 18 during your stay).


Read the official Tier 4 guidance here. You can apply for an extension of a student visa within 6 months of receiving a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) and/or before your current visa expires (but no more than 3 months before it expires). You can remain in the UK until you get your visa decision.

Tier 4 Child Visa


The Tier 4 Child Visa is for children between four and seventeen who wish to come to the UK to be educated.


To apply, they must have the 40 points required for all Tier 4 applications. Our Points Calculator should indicate whether they meet this requirement. The application must also show:

That suitable arrangements have been made for the child to be looked after by a responsible adult whilst they are in the UK.


That they have a parent or guardian in their home country.


If the child is aged between four and fifteen, they must be coming to the UK to attend an independent fee-paying school.

Child Visitor Visa


This type of visa is intended for children under the age of eighteen who are intending to come to the UK to study for a short time. To apply for this type of visa, they must have 40 points. This is required for all Tier 4 applications. They must demonstrate the following;

That the course they are intending to study is not longer than 6 months. They may be able to stay in the UK for up to 12 months when they are accompanying an academic visitor.


Arrangements have been made for them to be looked after by a responsible adult whilst they are in the UK.


They have a parent or guardian in their home country.

Free Initial Telephone Consultation


Our highly experienced Immigration solicitors are on hand to help you to understand and make sense of the rules which can be quite daunting. We will submit an accurate application on your behalf and we will ensure that all supporting documents required are in order and correct. We provide a free initial telephone consultation in which we will assess your circumstances, advise you of your options and provide a fixed fee quotation. Our solicitors speak various languages including Urdu, Punjabi and Mirpuri.